Senior Software Engineer
Department: Opera Mediaworks
Senior Software Engineer
San Mateo, CA
Opera Mediaworks is one of the largest mobile advertising and marketing platforms in the world, reaching an audience of 1.4 billion consumers globally. We help clients deliver innovative brand experiences that evoke emotion and deliver real outcomes fueled by data, technology and creativity. Trusted by Fortune 500 brands and more than 85% of the world’s top grossing mobile publishers, we are an essential advertising and monetization platform to drive meaningful results on mobile. Known for our exclusive Instant-Play™ HD video technology, our global performance advertising business and our extensive ad SDK footprint in the Top 1000 apps worldwide, we are passionate about helping brands connect with consumers at scale on the most important screen in their lives. A fully-owned subsidiary of Opera ASA, Opera Mediaworks is a global organization with over 20 offices worldwide.
We are looking for a talented and motivated individual to join the development team responsible for building and maintaining all aspects of our programmatic ad-serving platform. We develop mostly in Java and Scala and we work with multiple technologies including various AWS services, MySQL, Kafka, ElasticSearch, Aerospike, Memcache and Graphite.
- Maintain and evolve our constantly growing RTB exchange platform that is already handling billions of auctions a day
- Build our next generation programmatic ad serving platform ensuring that it's performant, reliable, and easy to deploy
- Collaborate with product team to incorporate market and product input into the design of your software
- Work to improve development process and add automation/testing to create high quality, reliable system releases
- Willing to be hands on with the production environment to understand deployment process, trouble shoot issues and implement solutions as necessary
- Be a good software engineer with 5+ years of experience
- Have extensive experience programming in Java or Scala. PHP experience a bonus for some legacy systems.
- Proficient with databases including table design and SQL querying
- Experience architecting and implementing high performance and scalable server-side infrastructure
- Self-motivated and hardworking with the ability to accomplish well defined tasks with minimal supervision.
- Know how to write and run automated tests for your code or be willing to learn.
- Be someone that others enjoy working with
- Value empathy, communication and teamwork
- Expertise with Linux environment, AWS and other tech mentioned above a plus
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent
- A competitive compensation package with bonus incentives
- The opportunity to make immediate and meaningful contributions from day one
- Unlimited career growth and development
- Exposure to new technologies in a constantly changing mobile environment
- Great medical, dental, and vision benefits in addition to a 401k with company matching
- Free catered lunches three days a week
- Fully stocked kitchen with snacks and drinks
- An informal work environment where you will be part of a talented, fun, and collaborative team.
- A strong company culture where contributions are recognized and achievements are celebrated