Global Payroll Manager
Department: Opera Mediaworks
Global Payroll Manager
Los Angeles, CA
Opera Mediaworks is the largest mobile advertising and marketing platform in the world, reaching an audience of 1.2 billion consumers globally. Our technology powers the biggest publishers in the world, enabling marketers to convey the highest quality ad experiences to more people in more places when it matters most. Known for our exclusive Instant-Play™ HD video technology, our global performance advertising business and our extensive ad SDK footprint in the Top 1000 apps worldwide, we are passionate about helping brands connect with consumers at scale on the most important screen in their lives. A fully-owned subsidiary of Opera Software, Opera Mediaworks is headquartered in San Mateo, California, with offices worldwide. To learn more, visit www.operamediaworks.com.
We are looking for a high-energy, bright individual to help oversee global payroll as well as travel / expense processes for our 750+ worldwide employees. This role will be initially focused on the 450 U.S. employees, coordinating the semi-monthly payroll processing including accounting, reconciliation, analysis and compliance. Within the first 6 months, this role will also take the lead in the global implementation of ADP to our international countries and convert them from their current local providers. An ideal candidate will be someone who is a game-changer and will take charge of the entire global payroll process, continually drive process improvements, and be an expert payroll resource for the entire company. If you have the experience and motivation to oversee this business-critical process and the desire to grow quickly within the organization, this is the position for you!
The Global Payroll Manager will serve as the subject matter expert in the areas of Payroll and Travel Operations. This role will work cross-functionally with areas of HR, Finance & Administration and is expected to effectively build, lead and manage the team, consisting of a staff of two managing both Payroll (via Workday / ADP systems) as well as Travel / Expense management (via Concur system) – ensuring appropriate skills, qualifications and training of payroll/travel staff and those involved throughout the process. Lead projects to drive process improvements in the payroll & travel department (and projects that cross departments).
1) Payroll Operations (partner with HR to drive global compliance and operational efficiencies/productivity):
- Accurate, timely and efficient processing, calculating and payment of payroll and related compensation expense. Will be responsible for the preparation of payroll analytics, review metrics and timely delivery of pay file(s) to ADP.
- Responsible for understanding and documenting the end to end payroll processes, identifying gaps in controls, monitoring & review controls, segregation of duties and data management which includes:
- Oversee and review all payroll entries prepared by the payroll team which includes but not limited to one-time payments, term checks, LOA entries, Fidelity 401K contributions, etc
- Responsibility for the timely preparation and calculation of any special checks, i.e., termination pay, sales commission, special bonuses, RSUs, Option Grants, etc.
- Manage the ADP relationship to ensure all state notices are being properly addressed. Ensure rate changes are updated in ADP.
- Maintain 401k remission schedule while ensuring contributions are submitted via Fidelity in a timely fashion. Update remission reconciliation on per period basis and ensure any differences are properly explained. Assist HR in the conduct of the annual 401k audit and Form 5500 preparation.
- Collaborate closely with HR department to ensure proper payroll deductions and reporting for all benefit programs.
- Responsible for reconciling W-2 forms to ensure accurate entry of all compensation transactions (i.e. sales commission, bonuses, equity, etc.). This includes the reconciliation of the quarterly Federal and state returns and amendments.
- Effectively serve as a main contact for all payroll related matters for the auditors (workers comp, 401k, etc); including accurate and timely preparation of and explanations for all audit related requests.
- Overseeing and ensuring the effective, accurate and timely filing of all employer payroll and related compliance forms and returns for all applicable jurisdictions such as workers compensation and other miscellaneous state filings. Knowledge of Year-End and Quarterly-end reporting and Taxation of Fringe Benefits is required.
- Stay current on legislative and industry changes that affect payroll operations globally.
2) Travel Operations (work closely with Concur & Wells Fargo vendors to support employees’ travel needs):
- Provide leadership, direction and expertise for the full scope of Travel & Expense tools including travel booking, expense reimbursement and corporate credit card.
- Oversee the administration of corporate credit card program which includes issuance of corporate credit cards through Wells Fargo CEO Portal, maintaining/updating credit limits of individual cardholders, and review of reconciliations and approvals of monthly corporate credit charges.
- Responsible for understanding and documenting the end to end travel processes.
- Develop, analyze and recommend key internal metrics for travel management practices, trends and results.
3) Payroll & Travel Accounting (work closely with Controllership and FP&A teams in month-end accounting close activities)
- Prepares/reviews accounting journal entries to record regular and off-cycle salaries, bonus & commission payments and net vacation activity (PTO accruals & usage).
- Reconciles accrued vacation & other salary related GL accounts.
- Performs fluctuation analysis to explain monthly activities of GL accounts used to book regular payroll and travel arrangements.
- Acts as the primary point of contact for financial audit of payroll & travel functions.
- BA degree in Accounting or Finance
- 3 – 5 or more years relevant work experience managing a comprehensive payroll process, including direct reports
- 5-10 or more years of relevant payroll work experience
- Experience with multi-state Payrolls and both exempt and non-exempt employees; experience with international Payroll is preferred
- Experience with automated human resources and payroll systems; Workday and ADP a plus
- CPP certification a strong plus
- High-functioning, working knowledge of relevant payroll related standards, codes, GAAP, regulations and other related requirements.