Opera Mini usage jumps 11% in one month worldwide as data transfers gain 16%
New State of the Mobile Web report puts these numbers into context with new cost savings calculator
November 25, 2009 - Oslo, Norway
Almost 40 million people used Opera Mini last month, representing more than 11% growth in one month. However, page-views and data transfers increased at a faster rate, meaning consumers now save 9.4 billion USD per year just by choosing Opera Mini.
But how much do you save? The new State of the Mobile Web report can tell you. It includes a new cost calculator allowing you to see the value Opera Mini brings every month.
The State of the Mobile Web report, published monthly, provides information on the top global trends affecting the mobile Web. The full report is available from http://www.opera.com/smw/ (English only). In addition to the cost savings calculator and country snapshots, the report highlights trends, both globally and in Latin America.
- In October 2009, more than 39.6 million people used Opera Mini, an 11.3% increase from September 2009 and more than 155% compared to October 2008.
- Those 39.6 million people viewed 17.2 billion pages in October 2009. Since September, page-views have gone up 14.8%. Since October 2008, page-views have increased 238%.
- Opera Mini users generated more than 263 million MB of data for operators worldwide in October 2009. Since September, the data consumed went up by 16%. Data in Opera Mini is compressed up to 90%, meaning Opera Mini servers processed up to 2.5 petabytes of data this month. Since October 2008, data traffic is up 233%.
- The top 10 countries for Opera Mini usage are (in order): Russia, Indonesia, India, China, Ukraine, South Africa, United States, United Kingdom, Poland and Vietnam. The list is unchanged from the previous month.
Trends in Latin America
- The top 10 countries using Opera Mini in Latin America are (in order): Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, Venezuela, Chile, Costa Rica, Colombia, Peru, Paraguay and Ecuador.
- Some numbers regarding Latin America: From October 2008 to October 2009, page views in the top 10 countries increased by 332%, unique users increased by 115%, and data transferred increased by 252%.
- Since our last spotlight on Latin America, Brazil jumped from #2 to #1, Mexico jumped from #3 to #2 and Argentina jumped from #5 to #3. Peru and Ecuador are new to the spotlight.
- Growth rates in Latin America: Chile, Ecuador and Argentina lead the top 10 countries in growth of unique users.
- Google, Live and Facebook all do well in Latin America. Orkut is strong in Brazil and Paraguay. Smaller social-networking sites have a presence as well, such as hi5, which shows up on the top-10 lists of Mexico, Costa Rica, Colombia, Peru and Ecuador. Hotmail is a popular e-mail site in Latin America. It is on the top-10 lists of 9 out of the 10 countries in this month's regional spotlight. Auction site MercadoLibre, eBay's Latin American partner, is popular in Argentina, Venezuela, Colombia and Peru.
- Nokia and Sony Ericsson are by far the most popular handset brands chosen by Opera Mini users in Latin America.
What we say
Although Opera Mini saves people billions of dollars every year off their mobile phone bills, we created a calculator to show exactly how much you could save," said Jon von Tetzchner, CEO, Opera. "Because Opera Mini compresses data by up to 90%, people everywhere can reduce the amount they pay each month for mobile data. By making the Web accessible and affordable on mobile devices, we can usher in a communications revolution on an unprecedented scale. Opera Mini is helping to spur this change - potentially affecting the lives of billions - not just by making mobile browsing possible, but by making it affordable, as well."
State of the Mobile Report archive: http://www.opera.com/smw/archive/
Find out more:
About Opera Software AS
Opera enables more than 350 million internet consumers worldwide to connect with the content and services that matter most to them. Opera also helps publishers monetize their content through advertising and advertisers reach the audiences that build value for their businesses, capitalizing on a global consumer audience reach that exceeds 1 billion.
Opera is a trademark of Opera Software AS.