Happy Birthday, Opera Mini
One year after its introduction, Opera Mini transforms how people use the Web
Oslo, Norway - 26 January 2007
This week Opera Software celebrates the one-yearanniversary of Opera Mini. Within its first year, Opera Mini has changedthe way millions of people access and view the Web on their mobile phone.Designed to work with almost any mobile phone, Opera Mini is availablefree from www.operamini.com.
"This is a celebration for our users," said Jon von Tetzchner, CEO, OperaSoftware. "Thanks to the more than 10 million people who have downloaded and used Opera Mini,we've changed the way users and mobile operators think about the mobileWeb. Because of the tremendous grassroots support, Opera Mini is now amovement."
Opera Mini lets you take the Web with you. Instead of limited WAP content,you are free to browse the Web the same way you would at home on yourlaptop or desktop computer. You can use Opera Mini to post pictures toMySpace, search the Web using Yahoo!, shop on Amazon or check Gmail.
"People want to communicate with friends, read their favorite blogs andcheck email; it's not sufficient to offer them limited WAP content," saidAjit Jaokar, CEO of FutureText and author of 'Open Gardens: Theinnovator's guide to the Mobile data industry'. "At the same time,offering full Web access to subscribers drives more revenue for the mobileoperator. It becomes a win-win proposition for everyone."
Opera Ninja Beats Boredom
Enjoy the Opera Mini story as a comic featuring the Opera Ninja. Visitwww.operamini.com/bday/comic/.
Opera Mini Factbox
Numbers Behind Opera Mini
Opera Mini continues to generate substantial mobile browsing traffic. Hereare a few facts:
- 3 billion cumulative pages viewed with Opera Mini
- 10 million cumulative Opera Mini users
- Opera's servers present 300 complete web pages to users per second
- Brunei Darrussalam has the world's greatest penetration of Opera Mini users per capita
- Sudan, the Maldives, Cote d'Ivoire and Bangladesh have the highest concentration of Opera Mini users per mobile phone
- If you are in the U.S., you most likely run Opera Mini on a Motorola RAZR V3, BlackBerry Pearl or BlackBerry 8700
- If you are in the U.K., you most likely run Opera Mini on a Sony Ericsson K800i, Sony Ericsson K750i or BlackBerry 8700
- If you are in Russia, you most likely run Opera Mini on a Sony Ericsson K750i, Nokia 6230i or Sony Ericsson K700i
- If you are in Germany, you most likely run Opera Mini on a Sony Ericsson K800i, Sony Ericsson K610i or Sony Ericsson P990i
Note to Editors
If you would like to receive selected statistics for your country, email@example.com.
Find out more:
Since its founding in 1996, Opera has been a pioneer in shaping the future of the internet. Providing faster and more innovative web browsers, Opera is the everyday browser of choice for more than 350 million people.
Opera Software AS is a privately held company and is headquartered in Oslo, Norway. Follow our news at http://www.opera.com/blogs/news/.
Opera is a trademark of Opera Software AS.