Global mobile-browser champion enters next generation
Opera Mini 5 beta out now
Oslo, Norway - September 16, 2009
Opera Software today released Opera Mini 5 beta, the newest update to the world's most popular Web browser for mobile phones. Opera Mini has mobilized the Web by making it easy to use and available for people everywhere.
In this fifth-generation version, Opera Mini is staying true to the company's promise of a superior Web experience on any device. Introducing a new, sleek look and feel, Speed Dial bookmarks and tabs - together with Opera's renowned speed - make this new version of Opera Mini the easiest-to-use Web browser on a phone. Simply direct your phone's existing Web browser to http://m.opera.com/next, and download the Opera Mini 5 beta free of charge.
Our 5 favorite features:
- Sleek design - Opera Mini 5 features a new, intuitive and advanced look and feel.
- Tabbed browsing - This desktop favorite is now available for Opera Mini. Tabs allow users to browser several sites simultaneously. This helps users easily jump from one page to another with the click of a tab.
- Touchscreen or keypad browsing - Opera Mini caters to the needs of your phone, offering optimal browsing for both touchscreen and keypad-based phones.
- Password manager - Opera Mini is a virtual memory bank, securely saving all passwords for e-mail, social-networking sites, online banking and more.
- Speed Dial - This is our take on a table of contents for your Web adventure. Opera's Speed Dial will greet you with your pre-selected Internet favorites upon loading the browser.
"In our own research, we have learned that the number-one reason people use Opera Mini is because it is easy - easy to use the Web you know. The idea of navigating the vastness of the Web from such a small screen can be a daunting leap, which is why we have long committed to make the browsing experience you are familiar with from your PC, easy to do on your mobile phone," said Jon von Tetzchner, CEO, Opera Software. "With new, sleek navigation buttons, tabbed browsing and Speed Dial bookmarks, you are never more than a click away from where you want to go on the Web."
For Carriers and Operators
Opera Mini has been chosen as the mobile-browser platform of choice by more operators worldwide than any other mobile browser. Opera Mini relieves network traffic by compressing data by up to 90 percent. This results in the fastest and most robust experience possible, while keeping delivery costs under control.
With Opera Mini, mobile-phone users around the world can get more Web out of each megabyte.
Opera Mini is the world's most popular mobile Web browser with more than 30 million people using it to browse more than 12 billion Web pages each month. Running on mobile phones that support Java, Opera Mini is the most widely available Web browser and the most likely to work on any handset. This browser is developed on the premise that, to get the Web on a mobile phone, upgrading is not necessary. No matter the barriers a phone presents, Opera Mini still delivers speed, convenience and simple, one-click surfing.
Opera Mini 5 beta is available for download at http://m.opera.com/next. Phone support may vary while in beta.
The BlackBerry scoop
Opera offers a special version of the Opera Mini 5 beta for BlackBerry. Designed specifically for BlackBerry devices, Opera Mini 5 works seamlessly with BlackBerry, including opening links and copy-and-paste functions. Visit http://m.opera.com/next to download Opera Mini for BlackBerry, absolutely free.
Opera Mini 5 press resources
Opera Mini 5 beta press kit
Including: screenshots, logo and campaign graphics (1.7 MB).
Opera Mini 5 beta screenshots
Including: screenshots (1.1 MB).
- Opera Mini 5 beta demo video
- A developer's look at Opera Mini 5 beta
Find out more:
Since its founding in 1996, Opera has been a pioneer in shaping the future of the internet. Providing faster and more innovative web browsers, Opera is the everyday browser of choice for more than 350 million people.
Opera Software AS is a privately held company and is headquartered in Oslo, Norway. Follow our news at http://blogs.opera.com/news/.
Opera is a trademark of Opera Software AS.