Give your phone a fresh start in the New Year
Oslo, Norway - January 3, 2012
The New Year is here, and this is the perfect opportunity for a new start in 2013. As well as goals like exercising more often or saving money, it might also be a good time to get rid of all the clutter in your life - including digital clutter.
If you use your phone for just about everything, chances are it needs a cleanup. From unused apps to files you downloaded once from the internet, extra mobile clutter can make your phone sluggish or simply make it difficult for you to find what you are looking for. Follow these easy tips from Opera Software - makers of the Opera web browsers for phones, computers and other connected devices - to give your phone a fresh start in the New Year.
- Back up your data. Running out of space in your phone to save your pictures, music and more? Upload them to the cloud or simply copy everything to an external hard drive. That way, your data will also be safely stored elsewhere in case something happens to your phone. Try SugarSync, a file syncing service that will sync your new photos and other files to the cloud automatically.
- Give unused apps the flick. If you have not used an app in the last few months, it's not likely you will use it again. Instead, the icon sits there taking up space and making it harder to find the apps you do use. Go through all your apps and see which ones you use on a daily basis - delete the rest.
- Get a smart browser. The Opera Mini app shrinks data to as little as 10% of its original size before it lands on your phone. This speeds up the web on your phone, saving you a great deal of time - since you"ll be able to open websites in the blink of an eye - as well as money and battery.
- Delete cache files. Your apps and browser create temporary files that can take up space and memory. You can download an app to help you do the job, such as Easy Cache Cleaner, which scans your phone and allows you to clear out the cache files. Once you're done, you might as well delete the app.
- Clean up your message inbox. You"ll gain space, and you are never going to read them again anyway. It only takes a few seconds to delete them all - you can even use an app like Delete Old Messages to help you - and you"ll feel refreshed after you do it. Remember: New Year, new start.
- Remember that name? If you cannot figure out who that person in your contacts is or where you know them from, ditch them. Also, check for duplicates on your address book, as syncing from different sources can cause double-ups. It's all about the space.
- Save power. If your phone drains battery, there are a few steps you can take. Close the apps you're not using, turn the mobile data, 3G, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth off when you don't need them, lower the brightness on your screen and turn the keyboard clicks off.
With these tips you will get your phone properly spruced up for the New Year. Even if it's working fine, following these steps will keep things from piling up on your phone, giving you more free space to use when you need it and making it easier to find what you're looking for.
Find out more:
Opera enables more than 350 million internet consumers worldwide to connect with the content and services that matter most to them. Opera also helps publishers monetize their content through advertising and advertisers reach the audiences that build value for their businesses, capitalizing on a global consumer audience reach that exceeds 1 billion.
Opera is a trademark of Opera Software AS.