Make your choice: The browser Choice Screen rolls out to 200 million Web users
Oslo, Norway - March 2, 2010
Starting immediately, Microsoft is promoting alternative browsers to millions of Windows users across Europe. One of the top alternatives in the Choice Screen is the innovative Opera browser.
"200 million Europeans now have a chance to find a new browser. We are convinced that people who try Opera will see that our product is better, because it is fast, powerful, easy to use and has the best security record in the industry," said Jon von Tetzchner, Co-founder, Opera.
Key features of the Opera browser include:
- Speed: Opera is known as the "fastest browser on Earth" and the latest version wins in open speed tests.
- Security: Opera has the strongest security record among all the leading Web browsers.
- Opera Turbo: Boost your speed on slow networks with our powerful servers to get you Web pages faster.
- Visual tabs: Drag the handle underneath the tabs to reveal thumbnails of your open Web pages.
- Customizable Speed Dial: Get easy access to your favorite sites every time you open a new tab.
- Opera Link: Synchronize your Speed Dial, bookmarks, notes and other useful data across all your devices.
"Today is a victory for choice on the Web and the myriad benefits choice brings," said HÃ¥kon Wium Lie, CTO, Opera. "The Choice Screen is a critical milestone in the evolution of the Web, for Web users, Web developers and everyone else who wants to see the Web remain a healthy platform for innovation, information and communication."
How we got here:
After Opera asked the European Commission to investigate the lack of competition in the Web browser playing field, Microsoft agreed to distribute other browsers in December 2009.
Last week, in the spirit of free choice, the Opera community invited fans of other browsers makers to submit and vote for the best browsers. Already, thousands of fans have shared their opinions on my.opera.com/community/choice/.
- Choice Screen Video News Release ( *.ogv / 100mb )
- Choice Screen Video News Release ( *.mov / 100mb )
Download the current Opera browser for Windows: www.opera.com/browser/
EU Choice Screen page: www.browserchoice.eu
Find out more:
Since its founding in 1996, Opera has been a pioneer in shaping the future of the internet. Providing faster and more innovative web browsers, Opera is the everyday browser of choice for more than 350 million people.
Opera Software AS is a privately held company and is headquartered in Oslo, Norway. Follow our news at http://blogs.opera.com/news/.
Opera is a trademark of Opera Software AS.