Opera Shines on Solaris
Opera 5 launches for Solaris Beta 1
Oslo, Norway - June 19, 2001
Opera Software today released Opera 5 for Solaris Beta 1, continuing the success in the Unix environment after last month's successful release of Opera 5 for Linux final version.
Solaris is Sun's name for their UNIX-based user environment, and is a market leader in educational and research institutions.
"Solaris, like Linux, has long been lacking a state-of-the-art Web browser to complement its stability and full features," says Jon S. von Tetzchner, CEO, Opera Software. "After all the positive feedback we received on our Linux release, it is very exciting for us to also release Opera on Solaris."
Opera 5 for Solaris supports the following features:
- Fast rendering of pages. Opera is the fastest full-featured browser on the market today.
- Easy keyboard navigation. Opera's easy keyboard shortcuts save time as well as benefit people with disabilities.
- Instant toggling of image and documents settings. For even faster browsing, images can be turned on/off with just the press of a key.
- Multiple windows support. Inside Opera, users may browse in several windows at once, without straining system resources.
- High quality Zooming. Opera users can zoom in on a page up to a 1000%, be it text or images.
- Resume download. In the transfer window, downloads can be resumed if interrupted.
- Small size. Opera is only a 2 MB download so updating to the latest version available is always fast and easy.
Opera 5 for Solaris has powerful search features where users can easily move between the most popular search engines, and search for terms, domain names, audio/Mp3s, images, video, stock quotes, books or company information. This Beta is for Solaris/SPARC. We are currently working on an Opera version for Solaris/x86.s.
Opera continues its commitment to the standards as laid out by the W3C. Opera 5 for Solaris Beta 1 supports the following technologies: 128-bit encryption, TLS 1.0, SSL 2 and 3, CSS1 and CSS2, XML, HTML 4.01, HTTP 1.1, ECMAScript, DOM and WAP/WML.
About Opera Software
Opera Software ASA is an industry leader in the development of Webbrowsers for the desktop and embedded markets, partnering withcompanies such as IBM, AMD, Symbian, Canal+ Technologies, Ericsson,Sharp and Lineo (now a division of Embedix). The Opera browser hasreceived international recognition from end users and the industrypress for being faster, smaller and more standards-compliant than otherbrowsers. Opera is available on Windows, Mac, Linux/Solaris, OS/2,Symbian OS and QNX. Opera Software ASA is a privately held companyheadquartered in Oslo, Norway. Learn more about Opera at www.opera.com.
Find out more:
Opera enables more than 350 million internet consumers worldwide to connect with the content and services that matter most to them. Opera also helps publishers monetize their content through advertising and advertisers reach the audiences that build value for their businesses, capitalizing on a global consumer audience reach that exceeds 1 billion.
Opera is a trademark of Opera Software AS.