Opera Refreshes Mac OS X
Opera 5 for Mac OS X Carbon Technology Preview 1 released
Oslo, Norway - June 19, 2001
Opera Software today made the first technology preview of the Opera browser for the Mac OS X Carbon platform available to the public. This is the second release of Opera for Mac that also supports the Mac OS X platform.
Until now, Opera 5 for Macintosh Beta 1 has been available to Mac OS X users in the Classic mode. Opera 5 for Mac OS X Carbon Technology Preview 1, however, lets even more Mac users try out the many features of the Opera browser which already have become so popular in the Mac community and have received rave reviews in the Mac press.
"It is important for us to show our dedication to the continual development of the Mac OS X platform," says Hakon Wium Lie, CTO of Opera Software. "We are asking all Mac OS X users to send us bug reports on this technology preview, and make sure that as with our other releases that this evolves into the fastest, smallest and most secure browser they have ever used."
Although a technology preview will probably not harm a user's computer, frequent bugs and crashes are to be expected.
Opera 5 for Mac OS X Carbon Technology Preview 1 supports the following features:
- Fast rendering of pages. Opera is the fastest full-featured browser on the market today.
- Easy keyboard navigation. Opera's easy keyboard shortcuts save time as well as benefit people with disabilities.
- Instant toggling of image and documents settings. For even faster browsing, images can be turned on/off with just the press of a key.
- Multiple windows support. Inside Opera, users may browse in several windows at once, without straining system resources.
- High quality Zooming. Opera users can zoom in on a page up to a 1000%, be it text or images.
- Resume download. In the transfer window, downloads can be resumed if interrupted.
- Small size. Opera is only a 2 MB download so updating to the latest version available is always fast and easy.
Opera 5 for Mac OS X Carbon Technology Preview 1 will work with Mac OS X Carbon in the native mode. Opera 5 for Mac OS X Carbon Technology Preview supports the following World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) standards: 128-bit encryption, TLS 1.0, SSL 2 and 3, CSS1 and CSS2, XML, HTML 4.01, HTTP 1.1, ECMAScript, DOM and WAP/WML.
About Opera Software
Opera Software ASA is an industry leader in the development of Webbrowsers for the desktop and embedded markets, partnering withcompanies such as IBM, AMD, Symbian, Canal+ Technologies, Ericsson,Sharp and Lineo (now a division of Embedix). The Opera browser hasreceived international recognition from end users and the industrypress for being faster, smaller and more standards-compliant than otherbrowsers. Opera is available on Windows, Mac, Linux/Solaris, OS/2,Symbian OS and QNX. Opera Software ASA is a privately held companyheadquartered in Oslo, Norway. Learn more about Opera at www.opera.com.
Find out more:
Since its founding in 1996, Opera has been a pioneer in shaping the future of the internet. Providing faster and more innovative web browsers, Opera is the everyday browser of choice for more than 350 million people.
Opera Software AS is a privately held company and is headquartered in Oslo, Norway. Follow our news at http://blogs.opera.com/news/.
Opera is a trademark of Opera Software AS.