Opera on IBM's OS/2
Opera 5.12 for OS/2 Beta 1 released
Oslo, Norway - July 5, 2001
Opera Software today went public with the Opera 5.12 for OS/2 Beta 1, pushing the number of Opera browsers on different platforms to a total of six: Opera for Windows, Linux, Mac, Solaris, BeOS and OS/2.
OS/2 is the name of one of IBM's platforms for large businesses and corporations. The OS/2 has been estimated to comprise as many as ten million users. Most of these customers can be found among large corporations, particularly in the banking, financial services, health care, and insurance industries that have significant investments in IBM hardware and software.
"At Opera our mission is to offer our users a fast, efficient and more hassle-free Internet experience regardless of platform or device," says Jon S. von Tetzchner, CEO, Opera Software, "Today, we can show our users the result of many hard years of development work by offering our users Opera on six different platforms on the desktop and four different platforms for Internet devices."
Opera 5.12 for OS/2 Beta 1 supports the following features:
- Fast rendering of pages. Opera is the fastest full-featured browser on the market today.
- Easy keyboard navigation. Opera's easy keyboard shortcuts save time as well as benefit people with disabilities.
- Instant toggling of image and documents settings. For even faster browsing, images can be turned on/off with just the press of a key.
- Multiple windows support. Inside Opera, users may browse in several windows at once, without straining system resources.
- High quality zooming. Opera users can zoom in on a page up to a 1000%, be it text or images.
- Resume download. In the transfer window, downloads can be resumed if interrupted.
- Small size. Opera is only a 2MB download so updating to the latest version available is always fast and easy
Opera 5.12 for OS/2 Beta 1 has powerful search features where users can easily move between the most popular search engines, and search for terms, domain names, audio/Mp3s, images, video, stock quotes, books or company information.
Opera continues its commitment to the standards as laid out by the W3C. Opera 5.12 for OS/2 Beta 1 supports the following technologies: 128-bit encryption, TLS 1.0, SSL 2 and 3, CSS1 and CSS2, XML, HTML 4.01, HTTP 1.1, ECMAScript, DOM and WAP/WML.
About Opera Software
Opera Software ASA is an industry leader in the development of Webbrowsers for the desktop and embedded markets, partnering withcompanies such as IBM, AMD, Symbian, Canal+ Technologies, Ericsson,Sharp and Lineo (now a division of Embedix). The Opera browser hasreceived international recognition from end users and the industrypress for being faster, smaller and more standards-compliant than otherbrowsers. Opera is available on Windows, Mac, Linux/Solaris, OS/2,Symbian OS and QNX. Opera Software ASA is a privately held companyheadquartered in Oslo, Norway. Learn more about Opera at www.opera.com.
Find out more:
Since its founding in 1996, Opera has been a pioneer in shaping the future of the internet. Providing faster and more innovative web browsers, Opera is the everyday browser of choice for more than 350 million people.
Opera Software AS is a privately held company and is headquartered in Oslo, Norway. Follow our news at http://www.opera.com/blogs/news/.
Opera is a trademark of Opera Software AS.