Join Opera's journey to reinvent the Web
Opera Unite now available in Opera 10.10
Oslo, Norway — November 23, 2009
Opera today released Opera 10.10 with Opera Unite, a powerful technology for personal content sharing directly between all your devices. Opera Unite is available as a standard feature in Opera 10.10, available free from www.opera.com.
To mark this release, Opera is inviting the world to join our journey to reinvent the Web. By wrapping both a Web browser and a Web server into one package, Opera Unite challenges the conventional, semi-private methods of sharing the content that really matters to people everywhere.
"We promised Opera Unite would reinvent the Web," said Jon von Tetzchner, CEO, Opera. "What we are really doing is reinventing how we as consumers interact with the Web. By giving our devices the ability to serve content, we become equal citizens on the Web. In an age where we have ceded control of our personal data to third-parties, Opera Unite gives us the freedom to choose how we will share the data that belongs to us."
Here are three things you can do with the Opera 10.10 today:
- Have you ever shared 10 GB of photos directly from your browser? Try the Photo Sharing application.
- Have you ever streamed your entire music library to another computer, mobile phone or game console? We recommend you try the Media Player application.
- Have you ever had time to brew a cup of coffee while you wait for a Web page to load? Opera Turbo speeds up your network connection, giving you eight-times-faster Web surfing over slow connections than other browsers.
What we believe about Opera Unite:
- We will be equal citizens on the Web. Rather than just receive data, our machines can now send it out into the world. Now, we have the choice to share our data however we want.
- Our devices will evolve. From in-dash computers in trucks to entertainment systems in airplanes, and from a netbook in North Dakota to a phone in North Africa, every device is both a consumer and a provider of content.
- We can create/shape endless possibilities. True device-to-device communication will change the way we interact with applications and our data. A phone can become a remote control for our home. Our computers can supply data to our friends and family around the world.
Create Opera Unite applications
Opera is inviting talented developers to submit new Opera Unite applications. Join Opera's battle for the best Opera Unite application, and win great prizes: my.opera.com/community/blog/2009/10/23/battle-for-the-best-opera-unite-applications
Screenshots are available at: www.opera.com/press/resources/
Get Opera 10.10: www.opera.com/download/
Find out more:
Since its founding in 1996, Opera has been a pioneer in shaping the future of the internet. Providing faster and more innovative web browsers, Opera is the everyday browser of choice for more than 350 million people.
Opera Software AS is a privately held company and is headquartered in Oslo, Norway. Follow our news at http://www.opera.com/blogs/news/.
Opera is a trademark of Opera Software AS.