India in focus: The newly released Opera 9.6 is tailored to meet the needs of the Indian market
Oslo, Norway - October 8, 2008
With today's release of Opera's latest desktop browser, Opera 9.6, the company has targeted the needs of the Indian market. Opera 9.6 is now available in Hindi, Tamil and Telugu. In addition to accelerating browsing speed and enhancing unique features such as Opera Link and Opera Mail in this release, Opera aimed to make its desktop browser as accessible as the enormously popular Opera Mini browser for mobile phones among Indian Web users.
In a show of commitment to Opera's focus on India, CEO Jon von Tetzchner is traveling to Mumbai and Delhi during this important launch. India has proven to be a strong customer base for Opera, as the country is currently the third-largest user of Opera Mini.
"India has definitely shown Opera the love with their devotion to Opera Mini. We are giving the love back today by ensuring that Indians from New Delhi to Tamil Nadu can use Opera in their own languages. This support also extends to our email client, Opera Mail," said Jon von Tetzchner, CEO, Opera Software. "I am excited to be in India during the launch of Opera 9.6, meeting with local fans and discovering what Opera can do to make Internet browsing in India even better."
Opera usage in India is spreading rapidly. Since the beginning of 2008, Opera has experienced a 150% increase on daily desktop downloads in India.
Opera 9.6 offers new and innovative features that allow Web surfers in India to:
- Synchronize bookmarks between multiple computers - and even Opera Mini - on their mobile phone using Opera Link.
- Get their favorite Web page with just one click with Opera's Speed Dial feature - a set of visual bookmarks you see when you open a new tab.
- Write e-mails in Hindi, Tamil and Telugu with Opera's built-in e-mail client, Opera Mail.
- Protect themselves from Web predators with Opera's added fraud protection.
- Conserve bandwidth by turning off images.
- Resume downloads after a departure with this new feature added to the download manager.
- Save money and stick with old computers, as Opera 9.6 is optimized to run on slow hardware with low memory.
- Leave their glasses behind, and just zoom in on the full page to get the bigger picture.
Opera 9.6 in Hindi, Tamil and Telugu is now available as a free download at http://www.opera.com/. To get Opera Mini in Hindi on your mobile phone, go to http://www.operamini.com/download/pc/generic/generic_advanced_midp_2/ and select â€˜Hindi" from the language select box; or visit mini.opera.com using your mobile phone browser and click on "Download in another language".
Opera Software currently has an office in Chandigarh, India, and has previously partnered with local companies including TATA, Spice Mobile and Meridian Mobile in order to achieve greater reach in the Indian market.
Find out more:
Since its founding in 1996, Opera has been a pioneer in shaping the future of the internet. Providing faster and more innovative web browsers, Opera is the everyday browser of choice for more than 350 million people.
Opera Software AS is a privately held company and is headquartered in Oslo, Norway. Follow our news at http://www.opera.com/blogs/news/.
Opera is a trademark of Opera Software AS.