Great fonts on Linux
Updated Opera 6.1 for Linux on Intel and PowerPC
Oslo, Norway -- Oct. 31, 2002
Opera Software today released Opera 6.1 for Linux for Intel and PowerPC users. The PowerPC version is the first released on this platform since the tentative Opera 5 for Linux Beta in May 2001.
Opera has been met with tremendous enthusiasm in the Linux community, with over 1.5 million downloads and installs since February 2001.
"We are proud to offer Linux users the best browser technology available on any platform today," says Jon S. von Tetzchner, CEO, Opera Software ASA. "We see the popularity of Linux increasing in all sectors and markets, with strong demand for an excellent browser."
In addition to several bugfixes, most end-users will enjoy the better support for fonts in the new version, with:
- Font anti-aliasing is now enabled by default
- Improved font support, especially for Chinese, Japanese, and Korean
- Support for Xft 1 and Xft 2
- Opera 6.1 for Linux now also uses Qt 3's libraries, further helping with issues like font and copy/paste support.
Other main enhancements include:
- Kiosk mode support
- Now using Qt3 libraries,
- Java support without using a plug-in (JNI)
- Improved plug-in management and error handling
- Improved bookmark handling
- Improved skin support. Both internal opera skins and KDE3 styles.
- Panning support (anchored mouse scrolling)
Opera is currently running a campaign for all users. Users who choose to register now, can enjoy:
- Free upgrade to version 7
- Access to personal support via email
- Free Operamail Premium for 6 months (available from the time Opera 7 has been downloaded).
The campaign price is USD 29, a USD 10 saving off the regular price.
Opera 6.1 for Linux can be downloaded from Opera's download pages.
About Opera Software
Opera Software ASA is an industry leader in the development of Web browsers forthe desktop and embedded markets, partnering with companies such as IBM,AMD, Symbian, Canal+ Technologies, Ericsson, Sharp and Lineo (now a divisionof Embedix). The Opera browser has received international recognition from endusers and the industry press for being faster, smaller and more standards-compliantthan other browsers. Opera is available on Windows, Mac, Linux, Solaris,FreeBSD, OS/2, Symbian OS and QNX.Opera Software ASA is a privately held companyheadquartered in Oslo, Norway. Learn more about Opera at www.opera.com.
Find out more:
Opera enables more than 350 million internet consumers worldwide to connect with the content and services that matter most to them. Opera also helps publishers monetize their content through advertising and advertisers reach the audiences that build value for their businesses, capitalizing on a global consumer audience reach that exceeds 1 billion.
Opera is a trademark of Opera Software AS.