Department: Product Development
Opera Software is looking for an Engineering Manager to join the growing Opera Payments Engineering Team in Nairobi, Kenya. We are looking for a great developer who is well-versed in PHP and has experience in Go or a keen interest to learn it. On the management side, we’re looking for someone who has prior experience in running a modern Agile project with at least 5 engineers. We have a higher focus on project management experience than leadership; this role is for one to develop as a leader.
The Opera Payments Platform (OPay) enables users to pay for various services through their mobile or web browser. It provides fast, easy, and secure payments and money transfers. Our key markets are emerging economies in Africa, Asia, and South America, where Opera has a traditionally strong presence and user base.
At Opera Software, we develop superior products and services for our users around the world through state-of-the-art technology, innovation, leadership, and partnerships. Our product portfolio includes web browsers, payment solutions, news aggregation services, data compression, and privacy. Our products enable more than 350 million internet consumers to discover and connect with the content and services that matter most to them, regardless of the device, network, or location.
- Develop code for the payment system that is scalable and maintainable
- Ensure that the code has extensive test coverage
- Manage an agile project and a team of about 10 engineers
- Lead the technical development together with our lead architect and global engineering managers.
- B.Sc. or M.Sc. in Computer Science or equivalent experience, with a keen interest in technology
- Experience managing an Agile project (Jira, Git, Kanban)
- Ability to work independently and take initiative, as well as being creative and curious
- Autonomous working style, with eagerness to improve systems, processes, and yourself
- Strong PHP skills, including:
- An understanding of modern PHP development and passion for quality
- Writing scalable, robust, testable, efficient, and easily maintainable code
- Playing a key role in architectural and design decisions
- A good sense of usability, attention to detail, and polish
- Fluency in English, both written and spoken
Ideal job requirements
- Strong knowledge of Go programming language, paradigms, constructs, and idioms
- Knowledge of common Goroutine and channel patterns
- Experience with the full site of Go frameworks and tools, including:
- Dependency management tools, such as golang/dep
- Go’s templating language
- Writing unit and functional tests
- Popular Go web frameworks, such as Gin
- Ability to write clean and effective Godoc comments
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools, such as Git