Content Editor, Africa
Department: Sales & Marketing
Opera Software is seeking a hard-working, detail-oriented and experienced Content Editor, fluent in French and English. This position is full-time and will be based from Johannesburg, South Africa. The ideal candidate will have a passion for news and digital content, with experience of managing a news desk, working to tight deadlines, and understanding what engages our audience within the entire continent of Africa, presenting a mix of content to suit a wide spectrum of users from all over the continent.
The Content Editor will deliver relevant, personalised news and infotainment to our users through our in-house news service for Opera Mini browser, as well as helping them discover new and relatable content, as well as a dedicated news app launching soon. The candidate is also expected to have a wide network in the media industry, a strong knowledge of local, regional and international news and affairs, as well as a sound understanding of traditional and new media journalism. A deep knowledge and understanding of many African countries is a must, as well as a passion for app technology.
Furthermore, the ideal candidate should also be able to write compelling copy in the English language.
A written and verbal command of French and English is necessary, with fluency in another language also a large advantage, particularly Swahili.
Opera offers a positive, fun and international work atmosphere where you can make a difference! This is your chance to shape the future of our products and brand – join us at the heart of all things Opera.
- Define, implement and execute the editorial plan for numerous African countries on a short, medium, and long-term basis.
- Give users a reliable, sustainable news service that meets their needs, while also hitting KPIs.
- Work closely with engineers to provide feedback for machine learning.
- Deal with basic tasks like collecting news sources, extracting keywords, labelling samples.
- Liaise with publishing partners on a regular basis.
- Write copy for special projects and campaigns.
- Plan ahead for major events, ensuring that the optimal amount of coverage is presented in the app at the best time.
- Source the latest news, curating and making sure the hottest topics are in the computer management system.
- Track, understand and categorise different news sources.
- Occasionally rewrite headlines to make them more effective, relatable and relevant.
- Push breaking news and trending topics to the users, understanding what will perform well in the short, medium, and long-term.
- Stay on top of the news at all times.
- Work across Opera teams and offices to support companywide projects and initiatives.
- Degree in communications, journalism, literature or related field.
- Minimum three years’ experience working in a fast-paced news environment, keeping to deadlines.
- Management of special media campaigns and working with brands on sponsored and branded content desirable.
- Exceptional knowledge of social media tools with relation to news content.
- Passion and knowledge for news and mobile apps.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Experience with CMS; advanced editing skills.
- Ability to adjust rapidly to shifting deadlines and priorities.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
- Data analysis skills.
- Ability to multi-task while remaining detail-oriented under pressure.
- Excellent time management skills, available to respond to people in a timely manner from all over the globe.
- Be proactive and adapt and respond to circumstances.
- Shift and weekend work is required.