Product Manager - TV Operators
Department: Opera TV
In 2015, Opera TV shipped its products on over 40 million devices globally. This included set-top boxes from Arris, Sagemcom, TiVo, Humax and many other customers, & direct operator engagements with Sky, Verizon, Swisscom and more. Now, Opera TV would like to further capture opportunities and evolve its product portfolio and positioning towards the Global Pay TV & Free-to-Air TV Operator segment.
It was recently estimated by IHS that over 130 million hybrid STBs shipped in 2015, with a forward-looking CAGR of nearly 8%. With its established portfolio of products, Opera TV aims to continue its long-term market leadership by enabling OTT on all of these devices. This would require a further evolution of our product portfolio to allow for feature enhancements and partner integrations. We seek a highly motivated, experienced Product Manager to help us further our vision and success in this market.
Opera TV will be at IBC 2016 (Hall 14, Stand N29) in Amsterdam and we look forward to meeting potential candidates face to face.
- Continuously gather market intelligence and identify market opportunities/relevant ecosystems within the global operator landscape to target 100M+ hybrid STBs annually
- Define product packages and formulate product descriptions (including relevant technology partners/ecosystems) that would capture the above market opportunities
- Validate the above product design/packaging with Opera TV engineering and sales, gather further input and complete resource planning
- Prepare detailed business cases for internal evaluation and support of the chosen pricing strategy based on the above input and gathered market intelligence
- Collaborate with the Opera TV product management organization to align on the product roadmap, following up with engineering for timely execution
- Train and empower the global salesforce with appropriate product material/demos to sell-in solutions to the marketplace
- Participate in key customer and market interactions together with sales, which includes global travel and being present at relevant trade shows
- Plan and execute marketing activities together with the marketing/PR organization around planned product launches
- Negotiate commercial partner agreements with identified technology partners
- Closely monitor the competitive landscape and co-work with engineering to gather performance metrics, where possible
- Identify and describe key organizations in the value chain that Opera TV should establish a strategic partnership with to achieve its wider goals
Since this is a highly specialized product manager role, we believe a person with the following capabilities will have the best chance of success:
- Prior experience in a product management/engineering capacity, overseeing software deliveries to the global Pay TV Operator/Free-to-air Operator landscape
- Established technical knowledge of various STB middleware architectures, SoC architectures and component interactions
- A strong network of technology partners with a proven ability to manage commercial relationships/negotiations with them
- Ability to build sound business cases, P&L sheets and analyze financial data
About Opera TV
Opera TV is the market leader in enabling the TV industry’s transition to OTT. The Opera TV portfolio powers rich user interfaces (UI) and OTT experiences on tens of millions of new Smart TVs, set-top boxes, Blu-ray Disc players and chipsets deployed each year by more than 60 customers. The Opera TV ecosystem spans:
- the Opera TV Store app platform with hundreds of entertaining apps tailor-made for TV
- the Opera Devices SDK (software development kit) for creating and rendering HTML5-based user interfaces including optional modules to enable HbbTV
- the Opera Media Streaming Module, to manage the rapidly changing global OTT streaming requirements
- the Opera TV browser for browsing the full web
Opera TV offers solutions for OEMs, pay-TV operators, broadcasters and content publishers. Visit www.opera.com/tv/ to learn more.